Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Rule of 3 (or 5 or 7)



I’m not normally a “rule” follower when I scrapbook.  It can be so stifling to the creative process.  But one rule of design that just seems to work is the Rule of 3.  The idea that embellishments used in odd numbers – 3,5,7 – are more appealing to the eye.  

In the layout I’m showing in this post, this rule even helped me complete the layout.  Originally, I’d only placed the yellow and the pink gems.  But it just looked off to me.  So, remembering the rule, I grabbed a tag and added the teal gems.  So simple, but just the right touch.


These are photos from the Town Square in downtown Anchorage, AK.  We were so surprised to see this sea of beautiful, colorful flowers!  As I wait for Spring to make a permanent appearance, these lovelies make a great substitute.


 


Hello, Anchorage by Moanica Caston.  Cardstock: Bazzill Basics; Patterned Paper and white tag: Lily Bee;  Gems: Prima; Yellow Tag: Whisker Graphics; Flair: Ormolu; “Today” sticker: Jillibean Soup; Wood veneer camera: Studio Calico; Alphas: American Crafts Thickers.




















Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to get up to 70° -- Spring may be here after all!

Moanica
 



4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures and a great layout! You're right, the Rule of 3's is one of those rules that just seems to work every time. So does making visual triangles; your two photos and the tag make one. Love this layout, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, love the colors and the rule of 3's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also started using the rule 3,5,7 from Tiare teachings. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tidbit. It's a beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...